Sunday, March 25, 2012

Victoria's Sum Sweet Brownies



With all the chocolate chips involved, these are not truly "sugar free." But- they are 100% free of granulated sugar, which is moving in the right direction to be diabetic friendly.

Just a few notes:
*Due to the "sugar" being all fruit puree, these have a mild underlying flavor of...fruit. Next time, I will highlight that and add in cherries or raspberries and some almond extract.
*I could not taste any coffee flavor in these (I drink a lot of coffee) but to Dan they were "mocha flavored." If you don't want coffee to be a part of the flavor for non-coffee drinkers, use water.

Victoria's Sum Sweet Brownies

3/4 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup chocolate clips (for melting)
2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
1/3 cup strong cold coffee
1/2 cup prunes
1/2 cup raisins (pre-soaked in warm water to soften)
6 tbsp. apple sauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. chocolate extract


Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch pan.

In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips until well combined. Set aside.

Melt the 1/3 cup chocolate chips in a double boiler. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the flax seed and coffee. Once it is "frothy," add in the prunes, raisins and apple sauce. Process until it is pureed and well combined. Add the 1/3 cup melted chocolate, vanilla extract and chocolate extract. Pulse until combined.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined (your batter will be thick). Spread the batter into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. I love all of these recipes! I am so behind on the posting! I have not done any baking in the last two weeks....well, actually, I did make cookies on Wednesday, but they were not for vegans or diabetics....i did put some sea salt on the top of them before I baked them, which made them much more delicious then they already were :) I need to get down to making business and share some recipes with you! PS. I love the berry cake!

    ReplyDelete